History

This page is by no means an exhaustive history of the Morris Minor, The Barnsley Branch and the Morris Minor Owners Club.  If you know of any errors or omissions please feel free to contact the site webmaster

History of the Morris Minor, The Barnsley Branch & the MMOC

1995
1995

Minor Monthly Magazine Launches

Minor Monthly Magazine Launches

The first and only independent and commercial magazine dedicated to the Morris Minor was launched in July 1995.  Called Minor Monthly in total it would run to 204 issues before suffering at the hands of it’s publishing company, re-branding for a final year with another publisher who then dealt the final blow in 2013.

1994
1994

The first ever Barnsley JOGLE

The first ever Barnsley JOGLE

August 1994 Three Morris Minors set off from the town hall in Barnsley to answer the question “Can a Morris Minor achieve a journey of 860 miles from Lands End to John O’ Groats in under 24 hours?”.  Despite trials and tribulations along the way all three of the Morris Minors achieved their goal by reaching the finish line before the end of the 24 hours.

1992
1992

BBC TV Perpetual Motion

1988
1988

1st ever Barnsley meeting

On November 24th 1988 six Morris Minor owners met at the Gate Inn at Pilley for the first ever meeting of a Barnsley Morris Minor group.  This would develop over the coming years into what is now the officially recognised as the Barnsley Branch of the Morris Minor Owners club.

1988

Sir Alec Issigonis Dies

Sir Alec Issigonis Dies

The genius that was Sir Alec Issigonis and who penned the original design for the Morris Minor died at his home in Edgbaston on the 2nd of October 1988 aged 81.

1988

Stutter Rap

Morris Minor & the Majors released this spoof single during 1988 in response to the then popular group “The Beastie Boys” It even featured a low light on the video. It reached the dizzying heights of number 4 in the charts.
 

1985
1985

Last episode of Open all hours

Last episode of Open all hours

Series 4 Episode 6 was to be the last ever episode of Open all hours. “The Mystical Boudoir of Nurse Gladys Emmanuel” (6th October 1985).  Following its familiar format to the end the Morris Minor of Nurse Gladys still appeared although the keener eyed viewer noticed that over the years several cars were used for the role.  It was still filmed within our Branch’s catchment area in Doncaster

1983
1983

Morris Minor Owners Club has a permanent office

During 1983 the Morris Minor Owners club had reached the size and organisation where permanent offices were required.  The club initially rented premises in Green Lane Derby.  Before this time all membership and newsletter organisation was conducted by members from their own homes.

1980
1980

Minor Matters Magazine outsourced to a printers

Minor Matters Magazine outsourced to a printers

During the early years of the Morris Minor Owners Club the then newsletter “Minor Matters” was typed up by the wife of its editor Derek Porter who would initially hand write the newsletter.  By 1980 the membership of the club had grown to a point where this approach was not feasible any more so during 1980 the first commercially printed editions of “Minor Matters” rolled off the press.

1979
1979

1st MMOC AGM

1st MMOC AGM

June 16th 1979 the Morris Minor Owners club held their first Annual General Meeting at Castle Donnington in the paddock area near Redgate lodge.

1977
1977

MMOC First gathering

MMOC First gathering

During April of 1977 the Morris Minor Owners club had its first gathering. 27 Morris Minors came together at Stanford Hall in Leicestershire.

1976
1976

The Morris Minor Owners club is founded

The Morris Minor Owners club is founded

During 1976 Tom Newton responded to an article in the Thoroughbred & Classic Cars magazine calling for someone to form a club for the Morris Minor.  His reply to the article drew the attention of a significant number of people and so the Morris Minor Owners Club was born.  This photo of Tom was taken with his car in 1978.

1976 also sees the very first “Minor Matters” the magazine or then newsletter of the Morris Minor Owners Club

1976

1st Episode of Open all hours

1st Episode of Open all hours

The 20th February 1976 brought our first regular dose of the State registered Nurse Gladys Emanuel in the T.V. Series Open all hours.  The iconic role was now played by Lynda Baron and her faithful Morris Minor was now its familiar White.  It’s connection to our Branch? – location.  The series was filmed in Doncaster or more precisely Lister Avenue in Balby and as such Nurse Gladys is more than welcome to a-a-a-attend one of our meetings.

1973
1973

Some Mothers Do Ave Em

On 22nd November 1973 episode 1 Series 2 of Some Mothers Do Ave em was aired for the first time.  Named Cliffhanger it featured a Morris Minor in the main part of the story line. 

1973

Pilot episode of Open all hours is broardcast

Pilot episode of Open all hours is broardcast

Th-th-think of the Morris Minor on T.V. and more likely than not your mind will arrive at Nurse Gladys Emanuel and Open all hours.  On 25th March 1973 the pilot episode was aired.  Sheila Brennan played Nurse Gladys in the Pilot episode and the Morris Minor was Blue rather than the white car used in the main series.

 

1971
1971

The final Morris Minor

The final Morris Minor

A GPO van was the very last Morris Minor to be produced and rolled off the production line in December 1971

1971

End of production for the Morris Minor 1000 Traveller

End of production for the Morris Minor 1000 Traveller

April 1971 saw the final Morris Minor 1000 Travellers leave the production facility at Adderley Park.

1970
1970

Saloon production comes to an end

Saloon production comes to an end

The 12th November 1970 is the final day of production for the Morris Minor saloon seeing the end of a 22 year production run, few car models experience such a long production run with seemingly few alterations during the course of its production.  The final chassis number is 1294082. 

1969
1969

Convertible production comes to an end

Convertible production comes to an end

In June 1969 the first of the model range to cease production is the convertible.  Low and falling sales figures and the recent change in ownership structure from BMC to British Leyland in 1968 are the root causes.

1962
1962

Morris Minor 1000 Series V begins production

September 17th 1962 and amidst rumours of either a completely new Morris Minor or even the end of the Morris Minor all together the cold light of day actually reveals the introduction of the Series V Morris Minor 1000.  Initially the major change is the running gear, with a new 1098cc A-Series engine to replace the 948cc model in the series III and a new gearbox sporting synchromesh in all gears except first.  Braking was also revised with larger drums on the front.