History

This page is by no means an exhaustive history of the Morris Minor, The Barnsley Branch and the Morris Minor Owners Club.  If you know of any errors or omissions please feel free to contact the site webmaster

History of the Morris Minor, The Barnsley Branch & the MMOC

1948
1948

Earls Court Launch

Earls Court Launch

On 27th October 1948 the Morris Minor was launched at the Earls Court Motor show in London.  This version is known as the MM and production ran from 1948 to 1953.

1948

1st production Morris Minor

1st production Morris Minor

In September 1948 the first production Morris Minor rolled off the production line.  It was given the registration number NWL 576 and is still on display at the Heritage Motor Museum at Gaydon.

1943
1943

Mosquito Prototype

Mosquito Prototype

In 1943 Sir Alec Issigonis penned the design for a prototype called “Mosquito” this would develop into the car we now know as the Morris Minor. 1943 also saw the First prototype built and codenamed EX/SX/86 this was a 2 door saloon with 6hp.